| After majoring
in advertising art at the University of Cincinnati where I studied
fashion design and illustration, I began my career as a junior
sportswear designer one summer during a work-study-internship program.
I dreaded pattern drafting but loved thinking up original designs and
sketching them for presentations. My designs turned out to be the best
selling items for the company and my illustrations appeared in
Seventeen magazine, Mademoiselle, and Women's Wear Daily.
Living in the Midwest where summers are unbearably hot and humid and winters are icy cold, I had visions of moving to sunny California. Crossing the states in a Volkswagon bus, I landed in Silicon Valley and became a freelance advertising artist, working for fashion boutiques, department stores and advertising agencies. Naturally, being in Silicon Valley, somehow my illustration and design experience found its way into the hi-tech industry. I designed technical documentation and product packaging for software companies and always made sure to liven up even the driest documentation with creative, visual elements. For the past 30 years I have continued to design software documentation, packaging, advertising, brochures and other marketing pieces for hardware and software companies as well as retail businesses and services. But on weekends and evenings you'll find me in my art studio sketching, printing or designing a whimsical fabric collage.
Advertising Art, University of Cincinnati, Cincinnati, OH
• Japanese woodblock printing, San Francisco State, SF, CA
• Etching, UC Berkeley, CA
• Artists' Books, instructor Linda Goodman, California State University, Hayward, CA
• Monotype with artist, Tim Berry, Anderson Ranch Arts Center, Snowmass Village, CO
• Monoprinting with artist, Enrique Chagoya, California State University, Hayward, CA
• Monoprinting with master printer, Rick Dula, Magnolia Press, Berkeley, CA
• Lithography and etching, California State University, Hayward, CA, under master printer Kenji Nanao
• Dry point engraving with master printer Kathy Cain, Smith Anderson Gallery, Palo Alto CA
• 1997 Catalogued original artist prints for Achenbach Foundation for Graphic Arts under direction of Karen Breuer, Associate Curator. My documentation was acknowledged in exhibition catalogue for exhibition: Thirty-Five Years at Crown Point Press
|EXHIBITIONS & AWARDS:|
1980: Adobe Art Show, Castro Valley, CA - 1st place graphics